Friday, May 23, 2008

adelaide's lament

as of sunday i had been in two of the states of australia. as of yesterday i have been in four. but it might take bit of legwork to get into the fifth on the list.

on sunday i packed up the life i had made for myself in sydney and said a bittersweet farewell to sheila. monday morning i jumped into a van and shared the backseat with a german shephard named jed for the ten hours down to melbourne. from melbourne i met up with the guys i was set to travel all the way through the outback to darwin with: guillaume from brittany, france and michael from tipperary (yes, as in "it's a long way to"). we had a great time driving the snaking, scenic great ocean road and sneaking past the security booth to save on park entry for camping in warrnambol. we spent wednesday trekking in the grampians and then retired to guillaume's friend's giant sheep farm outside of hamilton. the farm was unreal; it is an experience for an entirely different post. last night we rolled into adelaide. and things have come to a bit of an abrupt halt.

guillaume started mentioning the possibility that he would need to spend more time than originally anticipated in adelaide- first three days, then a week, then perhaps up to two weeks or maybe more. a story emerged about some occular disease that he might have because his brother just found out he has it (don't ask me, i don't get it either). and one hour outside of adelaide he announced that he wanted to part ways and find out own way north to darwin. thanks for the heads up.

michael and i are now trying to sort ourselves onto a two week bus journey throught the heart of this massive country. we are trying to haggle ourselves onto the cheapest deal and make the most of our time in adelaide. and adelaide is about as exciting as i imagine saskatoon to be. nothing against saskatoon, but let's call a spade a spade- it certainly isn't the cultural hotspot of canada.

cross your fingers that we get a good deal. while you're at it, you might cross your toes too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip. I'm glad you got the travel bug. It's a big world and you've a lifetime to explore. Throw a shrimp on the BaBee for me.

Jason Hudson Dot Com said...

Australia appears to have the best wireless internet system ever!

Anonymous said...

Bri darling,

Am finally actually responding to your lovely and ongoing journal of your time in Oz. Thanks for the birthday card and I did have a great fucking birthday as the card said. Well actually it was just okay. About a week after my b-day (homonym anyone?) I celebrated my first year at 26. (which I bought on the first anniversary of your mama's last day.) I am happy in Barrie but at the same time I know that I too need to push myself into some sort of adventure. So I have been looking around for a place to go to be a midwife besides Hooterville. I also have a hankering to do something further academically but first the adventure while the arthritis thing is not too limiting is case it goes that way.
David is okay with his summer job - but it has been a huge adjustment to working indoors and I am not sure in the end what he will take away in terms of what he would like to do next. Restlessness is one of his main characteristics - something that he got from my dad. I actually like midwifery for that reason too - intellectually engaging but also the opportunity to move about and do different things and just when I can't do another moment of clinic or call I am off to do the other.
Kate finds her work okay but sounds like she is not sure what is coming next.
Ang is okay I guess. I actually don't hear from him much. I don;t know if he has a summer job yet or a new place to live.
On the long weekend in May Kate and kate were here and we had Mark and JoJO for dinner and . . . predictably a good time was had by all.
Must go and feign productiveness in the face of the coming work week.
Ha!!
Love to love you baby,
your momma's best friend forever,
Trish