Wednesday, March 5, 2008

fright club.

i got a haircut today. it was fine, thanks for asking. but i won't back to karen at hair by; she was a bit too rough with her thinning scissors for my taste and she wasn't quite as precise as i would have hoped. her loss, or at least i would like to think.

i returned home from the hairdressers with that awful itchy hair all over your body feeling that often occurs post-trim. no thank you. so i promptly shed my shirt and shorts to avoid the itchiness. and then went to make lunch in my undies. why not? sheila wasn't home and no one can see into our house and well really, i don't care. it was noon on a hot wednesday and the need for excess clothing was minimal at best.

so i was staring into the open fridge contemplating whether or not i wanted to put some red pepper spread on my sandwich when i heard a very clear "how you going?" from just outside the kitchen. there are very few things that are quite as startling as hearing someone when you thought you were alone- perhaps touching an inanimate object and having it move or realizing that you have grabbed a stranger's hand in place of your parent's. terrifying. and so i reacted accordingly. with a shriek to the high heavens and a jump that would make barishnikov proud. i think i just about made it into the butter keeper.

sheila of course found it hysterical. as did i. as did sheila's good friend kath. and her nine week old puppy. i have now met kath twice, once in my bathing suit and once in my calvin kleins. as carrie bradshaw would say, "i'm like friggin annie get your clothes on."

sheila has decided that she will now loudly announce herself upon arriving in the front hall. not necessary, but thank you sheila.


i have decided that i must find a way to accidentally-on purpose scare her by arriving with many guests. when she is wearing just a wetsuit or a tutu or a bunny costume. just to be fair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find it interesting that you need to justify your clothes less.. ness..very interesting. seeing you are ALWAY nude, in my experience anyhow...and the shriek don't surprise me either.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! First I was crying because I'm hormonal and you write so beautifully and because I miss you and then I was crying b/c I was laughing so hard!!
I think you have an excellent career as a writer ahead of you if you so chose -
love you lots,
Deirge xoxo